Sunday, May 31, 2009

Free Arbitration!

Having a deep appreciation for God and His truths and a template for righteous living has had an impact in our marriage. The second and subsequent deployments went much smoother than the first, because we knew what to expect from each other, and we had an understanding of why. Once your values are based on the Lord, it's easier to talk about finances, sex and other things that can be complicated. It's like having a free arbitrator!

When I was in college, I was little miss liberal. I could open my own doors, thank you very much. Science - chemistry and biology - is not a man's world. I can do what I want, when I want, and you had better not label me with any of those old fashioned societal dogmas.

Guess what? Nobody ever knew who was opening the door!!! Seriously, it got old. And as for the man's world, I loved being the only girl in the Geological Society. I got lots of attention. I also found out that just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you SHOULD! Go figure. (This is something I'm trying to teach my children who are 6, 4, and 2 right now!)

Anyway, I'll leave you with today's gem from church. It's from Titus 2 (I'll paraphrase.):

"4Then they (the older women) can train the younger women to love their husbands and children,
5to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind,..."

No comments:

Post a Comment